Thursday, February 17, 2011

Fitness 101

Unfortunately tuesday was not a good night for a couple of people so I made the executive decision to postpone the fitness talk until next week. I will email you the notes so you can look them over and get a good idea for your fitness options and then we can go over it on tuesday.

This week I have been bad at posting obviously so I will just catch up yesterday and today because that is as far back as I can remember - ha ha.

Yesterday was running late in the morning and didn't have any pre-made egg muffins so i just quickly scrambled some eggs through some salsa on them grabbed 5 macadmia nuts and a handful of cocunut chips and out the door.

Over the last couple of days I have had some discussion with my coach about my body composition and what I need to do to get down to competition weight. After looking over my diet he was shocked at how little carbs I eat. He said they are way too low and that I need to significantly increase them! I looked over the days that I kept track of food intake on my iPhone and sure enough my average intake looks like this 50-60% fat 20-30% carbs and 30-40% protein. Based on this i really should be burning mostly fat when I exercise because I am operating in ketotic state because the carbs are so low - however he said that because of the type of exercise that I do - very high intensity short duration, and strength work i will just be burning my glycogen stores and possibly breaking down muscle tissue - not good!! So I have to up my carb intake, since i don't want to accomplish that with grains obviously apparently I need to add more root vegetables and tubers? need to figure out what those are I am thinking squash, beet, rutabaga, sweet potatoe etc. I still find this weird because I actually feel like I eat a ton of vegetables and actually can't imagine eating more volume of them. I guess the problem is that most of them are so low in carbs that it just isn't enough - like cauliflower or brocolli 1 cup is only about 3.7 g of carbs compared to a slice of bread that averages around 20g of carbs! I see that one cup of butternut squash is 21g of carbs, similar with beets - woohoo that is good.

I don't think in most of your situations that you are going to have the same problem and in fact operating a little on the ketogenic side and doing the workouts that I am going to recommend to you should help you drop fat more quickly. However if you find yourself low on energy or feeling weak like Elaine experienced the other day then I would recommend adding some higher glycemic vegetables to your diet.

Lunch Tues: ground beef and braised cabbage
Lunch Wed: large salad with romaine, kale, grape tomatoes, carrots, 4 oz of real crab meat and homemade vinegrette.

Dinner Tues: Left over curry chicken made for Monday but had crab instead
Dinner Wed: Eye of round roast 5oz big salad homemade ceasar dressing, carrots

Workout: Tues
Did an easy 5km row in the morning before breakfast took about 22:00
for time:
5 muscle ups
10 HSPU
15 clean and jerk - 105#
25 wall balls - 16# to 10 ft
30 burpee jumping pull ups
35 row cals
this took me 14:38 it was hard!

Wednesday was not in the mood for a workout so skipped it.

No comments:

Post a Comment